Monday, November 17, 2008

The "Running Amok" Begins ...



8:12 am and the little buggers are still sleeping. My mother (German) would have been banging on the bedroom door an hour ago, asking us if we intended to waste all our days in this slothful manner. (Is 'slothful' a word? Oh, well, it is now. I do not understand half of what is said by today's youth, so I can declare 'slothful' my new word.) You see, I told you chaos would ensue once we began our break. It is only a matter of time before the true "running" part of the "running amok" commences ... You just can't trust these guys. Look at 'em ... You just know they're trouble with a capital "T"!

I was up late last night and early this morning. A little thing called insomnia has plagued me since I was approximately 9 years old. Three decades later, it has yet to abate. I believe the amount of sleep I get each night would qualify more as a nap, than a restful night's sleep. However, insomnia does have its perks. Last night, I was able to re-do my blog in the peace of the mid-night hour. And this morning, in the pre-dawn hours, I was able to bake two loaves of cinnamon bread and two trays of chocolate chip muffins. Two loads of laundry have been finished, a third is in, e-mails have been answered, and ... they are still asleep!

I highly recommend the King Arthur Flour web-site for a plethora of recipes. I am a big fan of their products, and I especially like that they are employee-owned and operated. They have a recipe for a baking mix that is so versatile. Just prepare it, minus the shortening, and store it in a plastic zip-loc bag or a storage container. Then you have the basic ingredients already mixed for muffins, pancakes, waffles, scones and biscuits. All those yummy treats from one mix. Just add butter, vanilla, milk, and eggs, in varying amounts as the desired treat requires, and ...voila! Never buy Bisquick again!!!

No comments: