Friday, November 5, 2010

Our First Week with MFW First Grade...

My little guy is 7. Last year was to be his first real academic year with me. But I found it very difficult to put much time in to his studies in a consistent manner. Too much of my time was already being spent going to the hospital, and the older kids needed me for their work. I have renewed my efforts with him this year. This week, we began My Father's World First Grade, and I am very happy that I made the purchase of this curriculum. I could have just pulled together some phonics, and he is already way ahead in math. But the cohesiveness of the teacher's manual, the convenience of all the books, and the schedule all ready and waiting for me each day is just a blessing right now.

Rocky's enthusiasm while working with me each day was wonderful to see. He really did well with the seat work, which was not overwhelming. He loves the idea of being able to read the Bible. I did supplement a bit with Starfall each day to reinforce the phonics lessons, and he is using Flashmaster to really get strong on his math facts. The math workbook is way too easy for him, but he lacks strong fine motor skills, so I have him completing many of the coloring type pages to work on those skills. I believe he will easily move on to Singapore 2 next year, or perhaps Teaching Textbooks 4, which my daughter is using right now. He is working on multiplication facts alongside his addition and subtraction, and he is very intuitive when it comes to math. There was one craft that called for making your own playdough, and he enjoyed it. Didn't really like getting his hands all sticky, but he cooperated.

She just watched. When I handed her a piece of the dough, she tried to eat it. Then she got upset that her hands were sticky. I do not know where these kids get their fastidiousness from.

I have decided my camera takes lousy shots indoors.

Of course, the older kids had to get involved. She will do anything to get out of math!

Mommy, my hands are sticky!

The object was to make a jar in which to house your scroll. Rocky lost interest when his jar did not turn out exactly the way he wanted it to - and when the stickiness became more than he could bear. But the kids had some fun with the dough, a craft was attempted, and the mess was cleaned up.

I am going to try to blog consistently about our year with MFW 1st grade. It was a huge decision on my part to make the investment, simply because, after doing this homeschooling thing for so long, I do not really see the need for early formal academics. But this program is very light, yet focuses on the very skills I would like to strengthen before I must formally report my son's existence to the state next year. I see it as a clearly defined time for the two of us to spend together each day, reading, sharing God's Word, and hopefully instilling in my son a love of learning.


No comments: